GOK-DEV email archives

This search will allow you to search the contents of all the gok-dev mailing list archives.

Match: Format: Sort by:
Search:

From: Peter Korn ([email protected])
Date: 01/24/03

Hi Aaron, Michael,

I'm cc-ing the GOK Development mailing list <[email protected]>. I have a feeling that the GOK engineers aren't on the mozilla-accessibility mailing list.

Michael - at the risk of repeating arguments Bill has made to you, I strongly suggest you take a close look at GOK. They've done a lot to provide direct access to menus, toolbars, and with their "UI Grab" feature, the contents of a dialog box. These they then format onto a switch keyboard for rapid direct access. While GOK does not presently do this with links on a web page, it would be a very straightforward application of their techniquies layered on top of the GNOME Accessibility API (through which an AT can enumerate the links in an AccessibleHypertext document such as the web page in Mozilla).

As GOK is open source, it is perhaps the best place for research - you can build on the work of others to rapidly get the features you want, with no royalties or licensing fees. And, thanks to the fact that it the code is LGPL, you have a very strong incentive to contribute your work back to the commons - thereby allowing the next person to build on your work.

By the way, I was recently at the Assistive Technology Industry Association conference in Orlando, where I spoke with researchers in Japan working on a brainwave<->switch interface, and other researchers in the U.S. looking at switch interfaces based on recognition of a limited vocabulary from people with highly dysarthic speech. Both were very interested in using GOK as a development and execution platform for their switch interfaces.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility architect